Great Barrier Reef Marine Park Authority (GBRMPA) is committed to respecting your right to privacy and protecting your personal information. GBRMPA is bound by the Information Privacy Principles in the Privacy Act 1988 (Cth) which can be found on the Federal Privacy Commissioner’s website.
This statement discloses GBRMPA’s information gathering and dissemination practices for this website in accordance with the Federal Privacy Commissioner’s Guidelines for Federal and ACT Government World Wide Websites. Our aim is to provide an online environment which will ensure the information you provide to us is handled in a secure, efficient and confidential manner.
We may collect personal information that you choose to give to us via online forms or by email, for example:
- You may subscribe to our electronic mailing lists, such as the GBRMPA Newsletter, or
- You may make a written enquiry via our online Contact Form.
Sometimes we may collect personal information from a third party if you have consented, or would reasonably expect us to collect the information in this way, for example from publicly available sources such as websites or telephone directories.
When you browse our website, our Internet Service Provider makes a record of your visits and logs (in server logs) the following information for statistical purposes:
- Your server and assigned IP address
- Your top level domain name (for example, .com, .gov, .au)
- Your operating system (for example, Windows, MAC)
- The date and time of your visit to the site
- The pages accessed and documents downloaded
- The previous site you visited
- The type of browser used.
When you browse the GBRMPA website, no attempt will be made to identify you or your browsing activities except in the unlikely event of an investigation, where a law enforcement agency may exercise a legal authority to inspect the Internet Service Provider’s logs.
Use and disclosure
We will only use personal information collected via our website for the purposes for which it was given to us and for related, internal management purposes.
We do not share personal information about you with other government agencies, organisations or any one else unless one of the following applies:
- You have consented
- You’d expect us to, or we have told you we will
- It is required or authorised by law
- It will prevent or lessen a serious and imminent threat to somebody’s life or health
- The disclosure is reasonably necessary for law enforcement, or for the protection of public revenue.
We will only record your email address if you send us a message or enter it into a form on our website. It will not be added to a mailing list without your consent.
When responding to items or completing forms displayed in our website, we may request, and you may provide, personal information such as your name and address, email address and contact phone numbers. In the forms we will usually tell you how we use the personal information collected and who will have access to that information.
Please refer to the security page.
If for some reason you believe we have not adhered to these principles, please notify us by email at firstname.lastname@example.org, and we will do our best to determine and correct the problem promptly. Alternatively, further information regarding your privacy rights may be obtained from the Federal Privacy Commissioner's Website.
Links to other sites
Last published on 04/04/2012