This statement discloses GBRMPA’s information gathering and dissemination practices for this website. Our aim is to provide an online environment which will ensure the personal information you provide to us is handled in a secure, efficient and confidential manner.
Personal Information you provide to the Great Barrier Reef Marine Park Authority (GBRMPA) is protected by the Privacy Act 1988 (Privacy Act). The Privacy Act provides for 13 Australian Privacy Principles (APP’s) that regulate how GBRMPA must handle your personal information.
Personal information provided by you may be used by GBRMPA, in accordance with the Great Barrier Reef Marine Park Act 1975 (Cth) and the Great Barrier Reef Marine Park Regulations 1983 (Cth).
GBRMPA may collect personal information you give via online forms or by email, for example:
- You may subscribe to our electronic mailing lists, such as the GBRMPA e-newsletter, or
- You may make a written enquiry via our online contact form.
When you browse our website, our internet service provider makes a record of your visits and logs (in server logs) the following information for statistical purposes:
- Your server and assigned IP address
- Your top level domain name (for example, .com, .gov, .au)
- Your operating system (for example, Windows, MAC)
- The date and time of your visit to the site
- The pages accessed and documents downloaded
- The previous site you visited
- The type of browser used.
No attempt will be made to identify you or your browsing activities, except in the event of a legal investigation where a law enforcement agency may exercise their legal authority to inspect the internet service provider’s logs.
If GBRMPA is unable to collect your personal information the product or service you have requested may not meet your satisfaction.
Use and disclosureGBRMPA does not use your information for an alternate purpose or share your personal information with other government agencies, organisations or any other third party unless one of the following applies:
- You would reasonably expect us to use or disclose the information for the alternate purpose and that alternate purpose is related to the primary purpose of collection;
- Use or disclosure of the information is required or authorised by or under an Australian law or court/tribunal;
- A permitted general situation exists pursuant to s 16A of the Privacy Act; or
- We reasonably believe that the use or disclosure of your information is reasonably necessary for one or more enforcement related activities conducted by, or on behalf of, an enforcement body.
If you send us an email message or enter your email on a form on our website it will not be added to a mailing list without your consent.
Please refer to the security page.
- access and seek correction of your personal information; and
- complain to GBRMPA about a breach of the APPs and how GBRMPA will deal with such a complaint.
More information on privacy and the Privacy Act is available from the office of the Australian Information Commissioner.
Links to other sites
Last published on 04/04/2012