We look forward to opening our doors and welcoming guests again. Reef HQ is open!
There will be a sea change to your Reef HQ Aquarium visit.
To adhere to the Industry COVID-19 Safe Plan for Zoos and Aquariums, here are some measures we’ve introduced to ensure the safety of our guests, staff, volunteers and animals.
Before you arrive
Prebook your visit. All guests, including members, will need an advanced ticket with a confirmed date and time slot. This will ensure social distancing meaures, allowing 1 person per 4 square metres, is maintained.
- 9am to 10:30am - Members Only session. (Friday, Saturday and Sunday, and every day of the Queensland School Holidays)
- 10:30am to 1:30pm - Morning Session.
- 2pm to 5pm - Afternoon Session.
As we are required to collect contact details for each visiting group, bookings will need to be made via TryBooking. Bookings are free, with payment made upon entry to Reef HQ Aquarium. The person will need to complete the COVID declaration on behalf of themselves and everyone in their group. In the unlikely event that COVID-19 contact tracing is required, the person who booked will be responsible for contacting all other persons under that booking. Bookings are open now and are available two weeks in advance of each session.
Be aware that some experiences and facilities have temporarily been suspended. Due to social distancing measures our premier talk and tour program will not be able to run at this time. Reef Education Specialists will be spaced around the Aquarium, to answer your questions about the Great Barrier Reef.
The cafe will be open, but will only be serving snacks and drinks. No seating will be available.
Prepare to make payments using cashless options where possible.
At the Aquarium
Go with the Flow. All guests will be requested to experience the Aquarium and the wonders of the Great Barrier Reef, following directional arrows around the exhibits. This pathway is to ensure social distancing will be maintained through some of our smaller exhibit spaces.
Enjoy the Signage. Take the opportunity to learn some animal facts, as signage is placed around the Aquarium to remind guests to stay 1.5 metres apart. If visiting in a group, this is 1.5 metres between your group and any group infront or behind. (Did you know this is the length of an adult black tip reef shark?)
Increased hygiene stations. Please use the hand sanitisation stations. These are located throughout the Aquarium, including upon entry, at the cafe and near the lift. There are also dispensers at our survey stations, as we would still love to receive feedback about your visit.
Additional cleaning will occur throughout the day.
- Vulnerable customers (those who are identified as 'at-risk') are recommended not to attend the premises until QLD Health advises it is safe to do so.
- If anyone in your group is feeling unwell or and has symptoms related to of COVID-19: this includes fever, coughing, sore throat or sneezing please do not attend the aquarium until you are feeling well again)
- If you or anyone in your group has had contact with a known COVID-19 case in the last 14 days you must follow Queensland Health guidelines to self-isolate and not attend the aquarium until 14 days has elapsed or until you have received a medical clearance for COVID-19.
- If you or anyone in your group has travelled from a Queensland Government nominated hotspot in the past 2 weeks, you must follow the guidelines / requirements as per the Queensland Government regulations. (This may include getting tested immediately and quarantining at home or your accommodation until receiving a negative COVID19 test result). To view current hotspots, click here.
Our marine life, and staff, look forward to sea-ing everyone again soon!
Frequently Asked Questions
Is there a discounted entry?
While these measures are in place, all general admission tickets will receive a 25% discount. Not valid with any other offer.
|Ticket Category||Current Price||With 25% Discount|
|Concession - Senior, Pensioner or student. Proof of status required at time of purchase.||$22.00||$16.50|
|Child (5-16 years)||$14.00||$10.50|
|Child (under 5)||Free of charge||Free of charge|
|Single Family (1 Adult and up to 3 Children)||$42.00||$31.50|
|Family (2 Adults and up to 3 Children)||$70.00||$52.50|
Will Reef HQ still close in 2021 for the refurbishment?
The works associated with the $26.9 million received in December 2019, are still being planned at this time. We have now received approval from the Public Works Committee and will be progressing with procuring the necessary contracts over the comings weeks / months to enable the large majority of the capital works to begin early next year.
Are memberships available for purchase?
Due to our planned closure in February 2021 for refurbishment works, memberships will not be available for purchase or renewal between June 2020 and our closure in 2021.
Can we make group bookings or bookings for after hour events?
At this stage, bookings for groups or after hour event functions are closed.
The Department of Health website’s, Coronavirus health alert is the recommended source for the most up-to-date information on the respiratory illness outbreak caused by coronavirus. The alert is updated every day with the latest medical advice and official reports relating to travel restrictions and self-isolation requirements. A collection of resources for the general public and industry about COVID-19 can be found on the Department of Health's website, which you can visit by clicking here.